Here is today's curation of news from Sweden's startup and tech sector, as well as some interesting reads, exclusively for subscribers of Swedish Tech News.
Subscribe to Swedish Tech News to get access to a daily newsletter that brings you a brief overview of news from the Swedish startup & tech sector, curated by Martin Weigert.
Or, if you prefer a free weekly newsletter, subscribe to Swedish Tech Weekly!
Mergers & acquisitions
- Spotify acquired 2 US startups for undisclosed sums: the podcast measurement service Podsights and the analytics platform Chartable (English).
- Rocker (Stockholm, neobank): SEK70M (€6.6M, $7.5M) from existing investors (Swedish, machine translation).
- Vividye (Gothenburg, resource-efficient dyeing technology for textiles): SEK4.1M (€390K, $440K) from Almi Invest, Yuncture Invest, Daremont Invest, Louise Lundin and existing investor Chalmers Venturea (English, Swedish).
- Swedish investment firm Kinnevik led a €20M Series A round raised by Danish regenerative farming carbon market Agreena (English).
- Swedish VC firm Alfvén & Didrikson led a €6M Series A round raised by Finnish product video platform Videoly (English).
- Swedish impact fund Norrsken participated in a €3M seed round raised by German zero-emission delivery service Liefergrün (English).
News from Swedish startups, the tech sector and VCs
- €7.8B ($8.9B) were invested in Swedish startups in 2021. More than half of that amount represented investments in impact startups, according to a new report based on data from Sweden Tech Ecosystem (Swedish, machine translation).
- Wolt, Helsinki-based delivery app which is in the process to be acquired by US rival DoorDash, launches a subscription offering in Stockholm. For SEK99/month (around €10, $11), customers can order from 600 restaurants and stores without having to pay any delivery fees. Rivaling apps are reportedly considering similar offerings (Swedish / DI Digital paywall, Swedish #2, machine translation).
- Hanna Neidenmark, CEO of Stockholm-based neobank Rocker, is stepping down following a canceled public listing last year. Frida Bexelius takes over as new CEO (Swedish, machine translation).
- VC firm and venture builder Wellstreet launches a new fintech fund with an anticipated total of approximately $40M (English, Swedish).
- Sinch, Stockholm-based communications platform for mobile engagement, released its financial numbers for Q4 and the full year 2021 (English).
Other interesting things from the startup/VC world & beyond
- Finland-based retail optimization software startup RELEX Solutions raised a €500M funding round led by Blackstone Growth - it's Finland's biggest funding round ever (English).
- German VC firm Cherry Ventures launches Cherry Crypto, a €30M crypto/web3 investment fund (English).
- Accel and Index Ventures are by far the most active investors in European unicorns over time (English).
That's it for today.