Here is today's curation of news from Sweden's startup and tech sector, as well as some interesting reads, exclusively for subscribers of Swedish Tech News.
Subscribe to Swedish Tech News to get access to a daily newsletter that brings you a brief overview of news from the Swedish startup & tech sector, curated by Martin Weigert.
Or, if you prefer a free weekly newsletter, subscribe to Swedish Tech Weekly!
- Acamp (Stockholm, campsite marketplace): SEK25M (€2.4M, $2.7) in a funding round led by Spintop Ventures, with participation from LRF Ventures as well as existing investor Centripetal Capital (English, Swedish).
- petgood, formerly FUNCiFUR (Stockholm, producer and seller of insect-based dog food): SEK19M (€1.8M, $2.1M) from Course Corrected and angel investors (English, Swedish).
News from Swedish startups, the tech sector and VCs
- Volta Greentech, Stockholm-based startup creating feed supplement for cows from seaweed to reduce methane emissions, is gearing up to build a full-scale factory in Sweden after a successful pilot at a beef farm. For that, the company plans to raise further funds this year (English / if paywalled: alternative URL , Swedish).
- Some details on what the €2.1B lawsuit against Google means for PriceRunner - and Klarna, which currently is in the process of acquiring the shopping comparison site (Swedish, machine translation).
- Spotify has reportedly agreed on a sponsoring deal with FC Barcelona worth €280M ($300M) over 3 years (English). And since nothing Spotify-related seemingly can be drama-free these days, Barcelona's CEO has resigned, reportedly in part over disagreements related to this sponsoring deal (English).
- Qliro, payments solution for e-commerce and financial services provider for consumers, published its year-end report. The Stockholm-based company increased its total operating income by 6% to SEK403.5M in 2021 (English).
- 📺 Stockholm-based flying car developer Jetson released a video showing its $92K eVTOL taking off and flying around (English, Swedish).
- 📺 A fireside chat with Emil Eifrem, founder and CEO of Malmö-founded graph database firm Neo4j (English, 35 minutes).
Other interesting things from the startup/VC world & beyond
- Dutch investment firm Polestar Capital has announced the launch of Europe’s biggest circular economy fund. It opened at €100M and is expected to grow to €400M within a year (English / if paywalled: alternative URL).
- Most startup teams have a few NFPs - “non-fungible people” (English).
- Extensive analysis on the future of "solo capitalists" (English).
Other interesting things from Sweden
- Forget the Big Mac index, here is the Tesla Model 3 index - and Sweden ranks #3 in the world where the EV is most expensive, only beaten by Singapore and Israel (English).
- Visitors to Sweden from Nordic and EU/EEA countries no longer need to show proof of a Covid-19 vaccination or a negative Covid test (English).
- Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) will begin direct service to Toronto (YYZ) in June from Stockholm and Copenhagen with the new Airbus A321LR aircraft (English).
That's it for today.