Here is today's curation of news from Sweden's startup and tech sector.
Subscribe to Swedish Tech News to get access to a daily newsletter that brings you a brief overview of news from the Swedish startup & tech sector, curated by Martin Weigert.
Or, if you prefer a free weekly newsletter, subscribe to Swedish Tech Weekly!
A quick note on my policy for "slow news days" - which are likely in July: If there aren't at least 1-2 significant core Swedish tech news items to report for a given day, I won't send the newsletter, but I'll publish a quick note about it on swedishtechnews.com. My priority is not to fill your email inbox unnecessarily.
If you have suggestions for a better way, please hit reply and let me know.
- Vivium (Stockholm, cloud-based healthcare platform for efficient and reliable staffing and scheduling): SEK9M (€840K, $870K) from angel investors such as Saeid Esmaeilzadeh, Oliver Kylington and Patrik Nemeth. The money will be used to prepare for an international expansion, among other things (Swedish, machine translation).
>> Daily updated, subscriber-exclusive Google sheet with all funding rounds raised by private Swedish startups and scaleups. Request access.
News from Swedish startups, the tech sector and VCs
- Klarna's valuation could drop to as low as $6.5B during the planned fundraising round, reports the WSJ. That would be a painful 85% down from last year's valuation (English, WSJ paywall, alternative URL, Swedish).
- Everdrone, Gothenburg-based software and drone service developer, has established a hangar in the city of Aalborg in Denmark, to provide lifesaving drone services for cardiac arrest patients from there. It's the startup's first location outside of Sweden (English).
- Care to Translate, Stockholm-based medical translation app for healthcare professional, secured a major deal in Norway, which eventually could bring the service to all hospitals in the country (Norwegian, machine translation).
- Sweden's digital health care providers are burning a lot of money, and are additional facing potential cuts of the compensation which Swedish regions pay for taking care of patients (Swedish / SvD paywall, Swedish #2, machine translation).
- Stockholm-based early-stage VC Spintop Ventures unveiled its new Spintop Fund IV, which already started to invest in the beginning of 2022. So far SEK800M (€74M, $78M) have been secured, with the target of SEK1B expected to be reached during fall (English, Swedish / Breakit paywall).
- Oslo-headquartered VC firm Alliance Venture is looking for an analyst for its Stockholm office (English).
Other interesting things from the startup/VC world
- Ways for early stage startups to reduce the odds of a newly signed team member ghosting before their start date (English).
- The advantages of founding a startup with a sibling (English).
Other interesting things related to Sweden
- SAS pilots are about to go on strike after talks break down, putting the struggling airline into an even more challenging situation (English, Swedish).
- In Sweden, a boom of renewable-powered industries has given rise to what has been dubbed a “green revolution" (English).
- At its western coast, Sweden got its first fast charging station for electrical boats (Swedish, machine translation).
That's it for today.