Here is today's curation of news from Sweden's startup and tech sector.
Subscribe to Swedish Tech News to get access to a daily newsletter that brings you a brief overview of news from the Swedish startup & tech sector, curated by Martin Weigert.
Or, if you prefer a free weekly newsletter, subscribe to Swedish Tech Weekly!
Mergers & acquisitions
- Flowbox (Stockholm, SaaS visual marketing platform for brands) bought its Spanish competitor Photoslurp. Financial terms were not disclosed (English, Swedish / Breakit paywall).
- Proxify (Stockholm, platform connecting developers with growing companies): SEK50M (€4.7M, $4.9M) from existing investor byWiT at a pre-money valuation of SEK900M (Swedish, machine translation).
- tendmill (Stockholm, solution to streamline public procurement in the food service industry): SEK7.5M (€700K, $740K) from among others Esmaeilzadeh Holding and Holmströmsgruppen (Swedish, machine translation).
>> Daily updated, subscriber-exclusive Google sheet with all funding rounds raised by private Swedish startups and scaleups. Request access.
News from Swedish startups, the tech sector and VCs
- Tipser, Stockholm-based software solution to transform any content platform into an e-store, which in December 2021 was acquired by US-based checkout technology company Bolt, is reportedly laying off more than half of its workforce, according to Breakit (Swedish, machine translation).
- Epidemic Sound, Stockholm-based music licensing provider for creators, increased revenue in 2021 by 40% to SEK808M (€76M, $80M), with an EBITDA loss of -SEK53M but an improving margin. CEO Oscar Höglund says no further cash injection is needed (Swedish / DI Digital paywall).
- Gothenburg-based startup Repli5 builds software that automates the creation of synthetic data and digital twins in order to simplify the development of autonomous vehicles (Swedish, machine translation).
- Grafana Labs, Stockholm- & New York-based observability platform, open sourced its on-call management tool for DevOps "OnCall" (English).
- Storytel, Stockholm-based audiobook and ebook subscription service, launched Kazky.com, a site offering free fairytales for Ukrainian children (Swedish, machine translation).
- The Swedish Financial Supervisory Authority closes its investigation of Swedish crypto exchange Safello in relation to money laundering and terrorist financing rules (English, Swedish).
- 12 Swedish startups pitched their ideas at the most recent Sting Demo Day (Swedish, machine translation).
- As of September 1, it will be prohibited to park e-scooters outside of specifically designated parking areas (Swedish, machine translation).
Other interesting things from the startup/VC world & beyond
- German VC firm Project A Ventures raises $375M, its biggest fund ever to back best early-stage tech startups in Europe (English).
- Thoughts on the "right" order for the slides in a pitch deck (English).
Other interesting things related to Sweden
- Swedish software engineer Simon Arledal created a site showing real time and historic airport security waiting times for the airports Stockholm, Arlanda and Gothenburg, Landvetter (Swedish).
- The car crash in which controversial Swedish artist Lars Vilks and 2 police officers were killed in October 2021 was an accident, concludes an investigation (Swedish, machine translation).
That's it for today.