Here is today's curation of news from Sweden's startup and tech sector, exclusively for subscribers of Swedish Tech News.
Subscribe to Swedish Tech News to get access to a daily newsletter that brings you a brief overview of news from the Swedish startup & tech sector, curated by Martin Weigert.
Or, if you prefer a free weekly newsletter, subscribe to Swedish Tech Weekly!
- Epishine (Linköping, light energy technology for low power electronics): SEK25M (€2.3M, $2.3M) grant from the EU's LIFE fund, to boost the development of indoor solar cells for the Internet of Things (IoT) (English).
- Creandum participated in a $78M funding round raised by UK-based rewenable energy platform Tesseract (English).
- In a follow-on investment, EQT Ventures participated in a $40M Series D funding round raised by Finnish augmented reality startup Varjo (English).
>> Daily updated, subscriber-exclusive Google sheet with all funding rounds raised by private Swedish startups and scaleups. Request access.
News from Swedish startups, the tech sector and VCs
- 227 Swedish companies, among them many protagonists from the tech sector, published an open letter urging the Swedish government to do more to help accelerate the climate transition, and to not only treat it as a problem, but also as an opportunity (Swedish, machine translation).
- The Swedish government plans to end the controversial tax breaks for data centers introduced in 2017 to attract foreign tech companies (Swedish, machine translation).
- Quickbit, Stockholm-based crypto exchange, is launching in Finland, the company's second market outside of Sweden (English).
- The new streaming service SkyShowtime will launch in Sweden on September 20, combining the content lineup of titles from Paramount+, Showtime and Peacock (English).
- London-headquartered VC firm Northzone has appointment Stockholm-based serial entrepreneur and sustainability executive Anna Skarborg to a newly created role, Head of Sustainability. She will be advising both Northzone’s portfolio companies as well as the firm itself (English).
Other interesting things from the startup/VC world & beyond
- Global VC funding in August hit the lowest point in 2 years (English).
That's it for today.